New Report Reveals Challenges, Opportunities For Fast Casual Concepts
Consumers seem to see fewer differences between the fast-casual and fast-food segments now than they did in 2012, according to new research from Technomic’s Future of LSR: Fast-Food & Fast-Casual Restaurant Consumer Trend Report. For example, 32% of consumers polled this year said fast-casual concepts do a better job than fast-food concepts in providing friendly service—down from 37% who said the same in 2012. Among the findings:
- Fast-casual restaurants lag their fast-food counterparts in overall value, consumers say, but the gap is closing.
- Fast casual loses its edge when it comes to menu variety.
- Fast casual’s biggest menu advantage over fast food is quality.
- Fast-casual concepts are a clear favorite when it comes to sourcing more-healthful menu items.
- Casual-dining restaurants are consumers’ preferred alternative to fast casual.