"Ethnic Street Food" Appetizers on NRA's What's Hot List
The National Restaurant Association's annual What’s Hot culinary forecast is out. According to the report—compiled from a survey of nearly 1,300 professional chefs—local sourcing, environmental sustainability and nutrition are top themes that will influence the culinary scene in 2014. Some trends most applicable to Mexican/Latin restaurants include:
- Ethnic/street food-inspired appetizers such as taquitos
- Starches/side dishes such as quinoa (see el Restaurante Mexicano's story about quinoa here).
- Sustainable seafood (see el Restaurante Mexicano's story about seafood here).
- Ethnic-inspired breakfast items such as huevos rancheros and breakfast chorizo scrambled eggs (learn about Ver-Mex chorizo from Cibao by clicking here)
- Ethnic-inspired children’s dishes
- Peruvian and regional ethnic cuisine (watch for our stories on Peruvian and Oaxacan food in our Winter 2014 issue)